TERMS OF REFERENCE
Title: Learning specialist
Department: Educational Services Program
Reports to: Senior Education Technical Advisor
Location: Azraq and Zaatari refugee camps (Jordan)
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Under the supervision of the Senior Education Technical Advisor and RI’s education team, learning specialist will design approaches, tools and deliver training on stimulating and managing effective learning based on the developmental and contextual needs of RI learners.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Design approaches to increase participation of parents and community in learners’ educational progress through Parent-teacher associations (PTAs) and other mechanisms.
- Identify variety of suitable learning resources and train teachers and learners on how to use them
- Optimize existing tools for measurement and evaluation of effective learning.
- Provide continuous professional support for RI teachers and other educational staff by designing and implementing trainings, workshops, seminars and effective teaching methodologies, providing coaching, mentoring, observation and shadowing.
- Encourage and promote concrete actions toward student-centered, participatory and relevant learning environment
- Develop approaches and train teachers on the core competencies of social emotional learning and helping them to integrate SEL in the curricula of core subjects (Arabic, Math, Science and English)
- Design and develop individual and group remedial education plans helping low achiever students and students with some learning difficulties moving forward and success in their grades.
- Providing specialized trainings to the teachers on different educational evaluation strategies and tools.
- Design approaches that will increase students’ motivation and improve classroom management for effective learning
- Provide support in recruitment of teaching and other educational staff
- Design appropriate approaches for providing individual support for students with learning challenges
- Ensure effective implementation of the program for talented and gifted students
- Design a verity of extracurricular learning activities
- Perform other duties as needed.
Qualifications and requirements:
- University degree in (Arabic Language, Math, Science, English Language) plus another university degree in educational science.
- Experience and passion for working with children, adolescents and youth.
- Experience in technical education supervision or quality assurance of education.
- Strong, up-to-date technical expertise in variety of educational topics
- Rich experience in delivering trainings, providing coaching and mentorship.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible, understanding, and adaptable; able to work in a low-resource environment
- Team player
- Very good English language skills
- Specialization in teacher training or related educational field
- Study/work experience abroad
- Work experience with Syrian refugees
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation