POSITION TITLE: Database Officer
DEPARTMENT OR COUNTRY PROGRAM: ICT
RESPONSIBLE TO: ICT Manager
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: N/A
DATE: November 2017
DEPARTMENT/COUNTRY PROGRAM DESCRIPTION/MISSION:
Questscope began work in Jordan in 1994. In an initiative for the Juvenile Correctional System, sponsored by the Ministry of Social Development and the World Bank, Questscope developed one of the largest civic engagement programs in Jordan, training 4,000 student volunteers from Jordanian universities to mentor 6,000 young people in conflict with the law – at risk of delinquency and incarceration.
From 2000, in an exceptional GO/INGO partnership, the Ministry of Education and Questscope introduced an accredited non-formal education program – unique in the Arab world – that has enabled thousands of out-of-school young men and women to continue their studies.
In 2013, Questscope adapted the mentoring approach to the particular circumstances of young people displaced by war and violence in the Za’atari Refugee Camp. Questscope launched a Youth Center that has reached out to more than 2150 young people in the camp, completely led and directed by a core team of 40 visionary Syrian volunteers.
Since its founding in 1988, Questscope has implemented successful mentoring, education, and emergency aid initiatives for thousands of disadvantaged youth, in partnership with USAID, UNICEF, UNFPA, the European Union, the World Bank and others. Questscope has created programs in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Northern Iraq, Yemen and Sudan.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The databaseofficer position holder will design stable and reliable databases, according to the organization’s needs. S/He will be responsible for developing, testing, improving and maintaining new and existing databases to help users retrieve data effectively.
S/He will ensure data quality to ensure reliability, validity, consistency and timeliness of information required by program teams. This role will utilize strong databaseknowledge, time management skills and effective problem solving to ensure success.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Design stable, reliable and effective databases
- Optimize and maintain legacy systems
- Modify databases according to requests and perform tests
- Solve database usage issues and malfunctions
- Liaise with developers to improve applications and establish best practices
- Gather user requirements and identify new features
- Provide data management support to users
- Ensure all database programs meet company and performance requirements
- Research and suggest new database products, services and protocols
- To collect program data on the given templates and ensure data consistency for data consolidation;
- Perform regular backups of database application and data as per the organization backup policy.
- Any other tasks assigned by ICT Manager.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degrees (Computer Sciences or Information Technology)or a related field.
- At least 1- 3 years of experience managing Databases with reputable business or other I/NGO (preferably) or private organization experience.
KEY BEHAVIORS, ABILITIES and technical skills
- Demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as negotiation skills.
- Proven work experience as a Database developer
- In-depth understanding of data management (e.g. permissions, recovery, security and monitoring)
- Experience with relational databases, database design and stored procedures.
- Knowledge of software development and user interface web applications.
- Good knowledge of a variety of development methodologies for the troubleshooting and tracking of bugs and fixes, and task prioritization.
- Hands on experience with SQL
- Excellent analytical and organization skills
- An ability to understand front-end users requirements and a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Native Arabic and excellent level of English.
- Detail oriented, ability to show initiative and take responsibility.
- Effective time management skills.
- Enhanced verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Effective problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.