Common Services Assistant
11824 JOD plus 13th and 14th month bonuses paid in June and December respectively
This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Jordan.
Embassy of Canada in Amman, Jordan
Closing date for applications:
13-12-2018 At midnight UTC/GMT
Summary of position:
• The incumbent assists the Mission Maintenance Officer in developing plans and preparing preventive maintenance programs and schedules
• Assists in maintenance, planning and supervision, quality control of the maintenance, more than administrative support only
• Assists in the completion of specific functional and technical maintenance duties for all crown-owned assets and under direction leases
• Reviews project assessments and work plans, assigns work, and schedules projects for Maintenance Technicians;
• Oversees maintenance logistics of moving, building, and repairing Crown-owned office furniture
• Maintains the inventory of tools and materials, supply requests and household furnishings, and purchase requisitions from the maintenance team and makes recommendations for the required purchases to the Mission Maintenance Officer
• Maintains Embassy-owned assets inventory
Applicants must clearly and explicitly demonstrate in both their application letter and résumé that they meet the essential qualifications on education, language and experience criteria listed to be screened into this competition. Only candidates that meet the language, experience and education qualifications will be invited for assessment.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering (or an acceptable combination of education, technical training and experience)
• Fluent in English (oral and written)
• 2 years recent* experience working in an international office environment, e.g. embassy, hotel, hospital, large international organization.
*Recent is defined as within the last 5 years
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
Proof of right to work in and copies of educational qualifications will be required at the interview stage of the process.
• General office software including but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
• Standard office procedures and practices
• Project management
• Ability to supervise the work of senior technical experts (carpenters, plumbers, electricians, handymen) in a range of disciplines
• Material Management and Procurement
• Technical Building Maintenance
• Problem-solving skills
• Client Focus
• Adaptability and Flexibility
• Effective interactive communication – oral and written
• Ability to plan and organize workflow, coordinate information
• Ability to formulate office procedures, policies, guidelines in fluent written English
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
• Diploma/Degree with a specialization in administration or business
• Fluency in French (written & oral)
• Ability to work overtime – occasional overtime may be required
• Obtain a valid Jordanian driver’s license
Condition(s) of Employment:
• Applicants must hold a valid working authorization covering the period of employment. If the employment is of an indeterminate nature, or becomes indeterminate, then the work authorization should be permanent or lead by itself to permanent work authorization. The Canadian Government cannot sponsor a candidate to obtain work authorization documents.
• Obtain and retain an enhanced reliability clearance (security clearance). The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to Medical Clearance and Reliability Check (RC) obtained by the Administration and Security sections of the Embassy to obtain work authorization documents.
• Candidates must demonstrate concisely in their cover letter how they meet the essential and, if relevant, the asset qualifications.
• Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: RSCEMA.PERSONNEL@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
Area of selection:
Open to external applicants eligible to work in Jordan, and individuals currently occupying an indeterminate or term position in the Mission, who meet all of the essential qualifications and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the Embassy of Canada to Amman, Jordan does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Canadian Government is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other factor.
• Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application
• Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Please note that some email systems may block emails from unknown users. Candidates should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including junk mail.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• The Embassy of Canada in Amman does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• If candidates need any special assistance in terms of attending exams or interviews then please let us know during the application process.
• The results of this competition may also be used to establish an eligibility list of staff for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Amman, which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this competition.
• If you have any questions at any stage of the process please send an email to RSCEMA.Personnel@international.gc.ca