POSITION TITLE: Accountant
DEPARTMENT OR COUNTRY PROGRAM: Finance
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Finance Officer
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: N/A
DATE: November 2017
COUNTRY PROGRAM DESCRIPTION/Mission:
Questscope began work in Jordan in 1994. In an initiative for the Juvenile Correctional System, sponsored by the Ministry of Social Development and the World Bank, Questscope developed one of the largest civic engagement programs in Jordan, training 4,000 student volunteers from Jordanian universities to mentor 6,000 young people in conflict with the law – at risk of delinquency and incarceration.
From 2000, in an exceptional GO/INGO partnership, the Ministry of Education and Questscope introduced an accredited non-formal education program – unique in the Arab world – that has enabled thousands of out-of-school young men and women to continue their studies.
In 2013, Questscope adapted the mentoring approach to the particular circumstances of young people displaced by war and violence in the Za’atari Refugee Camp. Questscope launched a Youth Center that has reached out to more than 2150 young people in the camp, completely led and directed by a core team of 40 visionary Syrian volunteers.
Since its founding in 1988, Questscope has implemented successful mentoring, education, and emergency aid initiatives for thousands of disadvantaged youth, in partnership with USAID, UNICEF, UNFPA, the European Union, the World Bank and others. Questscope has created programs in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Northern Iraq, Yemen and Sudan.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Accountant will contribute to the efficient and effective workings of the finance department by executing daily tasks with a strong attention to detail. This role will utilize strong accounting knowledge, time management skills and effective problem solving to ensure success.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Assist/Prepare journal entries.
- Responsible to review &prepareaccounting vouchers and insure all required supporting documents.
- Accounting vouchers data entry in the accounting system.
- Prepare & maintain bank account balances and monthly reconciliations.
- Assist and prepare payment documents.
- Assist in preparation of financial statements and reports.
- Assist/responsible for office cash custody/safeguarding and all related cash deposits/withdrawals process as assigned / instructions of the direct supervisor.
- Interface with staff for daily financial transactions
- Assist the senior finance officer to coordinate financial operations with other departments.
- Conduct field visits upon request. Field visits assignments includes – but not limited – stock taking, payments, events financial and operations assistance.
- Processing, filing and safeguarding of all vouchers.
- Performs other tasks assigned by the direct supervisor.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- 1-3 years accounting experience.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work in a professional and cordial manner with fellow QS staff members, visitors, and the general public.
- Good verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- Good knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and procedures as well as the cultural environment.
- Results &Detailed oriented personality
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to show initiative and take responsibility
- Ability to favorably represent the organization’s image to clients
- Ability to work independently and in a team oriented environment
- Problem solving skills
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Good knowledge of the general accepted accounting principles
- Native Arabic and good level of English language
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes
- Honest and trustworthy
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Demonstrate sound work ethics